Step Grading Tools: Can Technology Ease Up Assessment?
On February 19, 10:00–11:30 a.m. EST (15:00–16:30 UTC), VTE is holding the first session for its Writing Support Lab. At this step, we focus on tools which can facilitate or improve feedback on written assignments. Sample question: Are there systems teachers might use to improve the evaluation of students’ writing?
Many of us need to mark papers. Now that “language of instruction” policies ask teachers to give grades on the quality of written communication, chemistry lab reports may be assessed as if they were “English essays”.
More importantly, the feedback we give on learners’ work can greatly enhance their writing. By her knowledge of the field, a chemistry teacher can shape her students’ learning experience. Some would argue that proper use of scientific language is as important as is an understanding of covalent bonding.
There are plenty of tools around to enhance teachers’ work with students’ writing. This lab on writing support tools covers three major domains related to student writing. Paying tribute to “backward course design”, we will start with feedback, assessment, and grading.
Join us online on Thursday, February 19, from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. (EST; 15:00–16:30 UTC) for this lab’s first live meeting. Attendance or participation in the lab’s online meetings is free and open to all. Please use our contact form to register as a participant (or attendee). Since our hosting capacity through Adobe Connect is somewhat limited, we might have to limit the number of participants. In the unlikely event that we would have to restrict participation, priority will be given to members of the Cegep system.
- James Bennett, Urkund
- Ali Boumoussa, Collège Ahuntsic (ESL)
- Tim Campbell-Comerford, Vanier College (PDO)
- Grace DuVal, Nuance
- Elyse Eidman-Aadahl, National Writing Project
- Gabe Flacks, Champlain College Saint-Lambert (Humanities) / News Activist
- Linda Friedrich, National Writing Project
- Danielle Jacques, RÉCIT FGA
- Mary Johnson, Vanier College (ECE)
- Kevin Lenton, Vanier College (Physics), SALTISE
- Hugh McGuire, PressBooks / LibriVox
- Jennifer Mitchell, Vanier College (PDO)
- Andrea Prupas, ALDI / inov8
- Marie-France Raymond-Dufour, CSDM (Adult Education) / Collège Rosemont (French Language and Literature) / Université de Montréal (FEP)
- Tanya Reddy, Oralys
- Carolyn Samuel, McGill University (McGill Writing Centre)
- Stefan Sinclair, Voyant Tools / Nadaclair Language Technologies / McGill University (LLC)
- Norman Spatz, Profweb / Cégep du Vieux-Montréal (ESL) (Retired)
- Jesse Stommel, University of Wisconsin-Madison (DCS) / Hybrid Pedagogy
- Roberta Thomson, McGill University (OSD) / UDL Chantier 3
- Nicholas Walker, Collège Ahuntsic (ESL), CorrectiveFeedback.com / Bokomaru Publications