Step Training Writers: Can Technology Enhance Literacy?
On April 7, from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m. (EDT). Third and final part of the Writing Support Lab. Tools to improve students’ writing skills. Sample question: How can we appropriate spellcheckers to pedagogical contexts?
Join us on April 7, from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m. (EDT) for our third and final lab session on writing support tools. During this last meeting, we will look at the pedagogical implications of tools that learners improve their writing skills. For instance, are their appropriate ways to use grammar checkers so that they enhance written assignments? Can serious games and online tutors ease out the learning process?
While Seymour Papert may envision a world in which the “3Rs” are obsolete, literacy remains a key factor in higher education. While some teachers complain that their students should come with advanced writing skills, the reality is that a fair amount of postsecondary pedagogy has to do with refining learners’ competencies in their language of instruction.
Attendance or participation in the lab’s online meetings is free and open to all. Please use our contact form to register as a participant (or attendee). Though we should have enough capacity to welcome everyone interested, we reserve the right to limit the number of participants. In the unlikely event that we would have to restrict participation, priority will be given to members of the Cegep system.
As we have done previously, we will use a collaborative document to accompany the lab process. Feel free to add questions or links to that document, ahead of our live session.
- James Bennett, Urkund
- Ali Boumoussa, Collège Ahuntsic (ESL)
- Tim Campbell-Comerford, Vanier College (PDO)
- Grace DuVal, Nuance
- Elyse Eidman-Aadahl, National Writing Project
- Gabe Flacks, Champlain College Saint-Lambert (Humanities) / News Activist
- Linda Friedrich, National Writing Project
- Danielle Jacques, RÉCIT FGA
- Mary Johnson, Vanier College (ECE)
- Kevin Lenton, Vanier College (Physics), SALTISE
- Hugh McGuire, PressBooks / LibriVox
- Jennifer Mitchell, Vanier College (PDO)
- Andrea Prupas, ALDI / inov8
- Marie-France Raymond-Dufour, CSDM (Adult Education) / Collège Rosemont (French Language and Literature) / Université de Montréal (FEP)
- Tanya Reddy, Oralys
- Carolyn Samuel, McGill University (McGill Writing Centre)
- Stefan Sinclair, Voyant Tools / Nadaclair Language Technologies / McGill University (LLC)
- Norman Spatz, Profweb / Cégep du Vieux-Montréal (ESL) (Retired)
- Jesse Stommel, University of Wisconsin-Madison (DCS) / Hybrid Pedagogy
- Roberta Thomson, McGill University (OSD) / UDL Chantier 3
- Nicholas Walker, Collège Ahuntsic (ESL), CorrectiveFeedback.com / Bokomaru Publications