The ICTProfile.ca Space on Profweb: Essential Skills at Your Fingertips…
Since springtime is synonymous with growth and renewal, we are taking advantage of this beautiful time of year to officially launch the ICTProfile.ca site – a lovely bouquet of daffodils for the college network!
Integrated within the Profweb site under the new ‘Frameworks’ tab, the ICTProfile.ca site offers hundreds of resources to support teachers and students in the development of the skills from the ICT Profile for College Students that was developed by the Réseau des répondantes et répondants TIC (IT Representatives Network). This profile includes skills related to the research, processing and presentation of information. There are also two skills that invite students to work within a network and to utilise Information and Communication Technologies in an efficient responsible manner. These skills have become essential, whether it be to continue studies at the university level, to respond to the requirements of the job market or to meet the daily digital challenges that we all face.
ICT Profile for College Students Skills
Caroline says: “I invite you to watch the first of a series of four videos that provides an overview of the ICT Profile for College Students and the ICTProfile.ca web space from the perspective of three of their dynamic stakeholders.”
In the first video, you will hear some answers to many of the questions that are likely crossing your mind as you read this article:
- Why was the ICT Profile for College Students created?
- Why should the ICT Profile be integrated into programs of study?
- Are there some resources that will help us to get there?
Video no. 1: Huguette Dupont, Education Advisor at the Cégep de Granby and community leader for the ICT Profile team, part 1 (in french).
Keep an eye out for the next installment! (The interviews are only available in French at this time.)
- Video no. 2: Christine Veilleux, Teacher and Tremplin DEC Coordinator at Cégep Limoilou
- Video no. 3: Nicole Perreault, Community Leader for the IT Representatives Network (Réseau des répondantes et répondants TIC – Fédération des cégeps)
- Video no. 4: Huguette Dupont, Education Advisor at the Cégep de Granby and Team Leader for the ICT Profile team, part 2
In the ICTProfile.ca web space you will find the following for each skill:
- The context, utility and description of each skill, as well as the underlying objectives and the tasks make up each objective
- Some suggestions for what you might expect from students
- Real Life Stories from teachers that have integrated ICT Profile skills into their courses in an inspiring way and other suggestions to integrate one or more skills within an educational activity or a course
- Tutorials designed for students
- Tools and free software to use towards developing a skill
- And much more…
The website provides additional resources for each skills, objectives and tasks.
The pedagogical objectives of the ICTProfile.ca web space can be resumed as:
- Offer all college students, regardless of their program of study, a dynamic space that will allow them to:
- Develop indispensable skills that will help them during the course of their college and university studies, within the job market and as part of their civic lives.
- Acquire the technological skills that contribute to a mastery of higher order skills, whether they be informational, methodological or cognitive skills.
- Increase their chances of students success: a meta-synthesis from Papin (2016) (in French) revealed some interesting correlations between the use of a library, information literacy training and different dimensions of student success (final marks, perseverance and successfully completing courses).
- Offer a web space with a veritable goldmine of resources on how to integrate the ICT Profile into courses and programs of study that is useful to teachers from any program, and that is also useful to education advisors and librarians.
Sample from an objective.
The activation of the ICTProfile.ca web space is the result of a fruitful and productive pairing of the Réseau REPTIC with Profweb and the other college network ICT Partners, as well as the REBICQ and organizations such as the ADTE and Diapason. We would also like to acknowledge the commitment of dozens of REPTICs and IT-REPs from the college network who invested their time and energy as members of the ICT Profile team over the last decade. Thanks everyone for your contribution!
Have you integrated skills from the ICT Profile within one of your courses or a program of study? Please share your experience by adding a comment below!
Has this framework provided some inspiration for you, and would you like to spread the word to your colleagues? Why not suggest the ICTProfile.ca web space to them!
Have you created some resources that contribute to the development of student ICT skills (videos, step-by-step manuals, lesson plans, observation grids)? Contact the ICT Profile team to submit your resources for inclusion on the ICTProfile.ca web space so that all the colleges may benefit from your resource!
Would you like to attend a workshop in line with the ICT Profile for students? Contact the IT-Rep at your college and keep an eye out for the activities being offered by the IT Partners and other network associations.
Wishing you many wonderful discoveries!