Use and Design of eBooks in a Pedagogical Context
The article provides an overview of a REFAD workshop entitled L’utilisation et la création de livres électroniques dans un contexte pédagogique (Use and Design of eBooks in a Pedagogical Context) that was held on December 2nd, 2015. A link to a recording of the workshop (where you can also download the documentation) is included in this overview. The article also offers college-level resources related to eBooks. Finally, there are suggestions for a wide range of eBook tools: design and broadcasting platforms, style guide, etc.
Title: L’utilisation et la création de livres électroniques dans un contexte pédagogique (Use and Design of eBooks in a Pedagogical Context)
Presenter : François Dallaire (Centre de documentation sur l’éducation des adultes et la condition féminine / CDÉACF)
Description : The eBook is an indispensable tool for teaching that is becoming increasingly commonplace. In this workshop we will present some concrete examples for the use of eBooks within the context of teaching and adult education. We will see how the eBook lends itself to teaching at a distance by removing physical constraints. We will also explore the different eBook formats while looking at their main features. Finally, we will provide an overview of the necessary resources for their creation and distribution, as well as digital rights management (DRM).
- L’utilisation et la création de livres électroniques dans un contexte pédagogique. Watch the workshop (YouTube video – In French).
- Download the slideshow (Zip file with PDF and PPTX versions).
- APOP – Webinar: La classe numérique… vers une classe “sans papier”?
- Profweb – Article: Using Wikipedia to Create an e-Textbook
- Profweb – Article: Technopedagogical eBooks at the CDC
- Profweb – Real Life Story: Le livre numérique en classe d’anatomie : quel bonheur!
- Profweb – Article : The Rights and Responsibilities of Publishing Digital Course Notes
- Réseau REPTIC – Compilation of answers to a call for assistance (May 2014): Implantation de livres numériques
- Réseau REPTIC / Cégep à distance – Video Tutorial: Marking-up and annotating digital documents
- VTÉ – Articles: Exploring the E-Textbook and Creating your own E-Textbook
Open-content Textbook Collections
Creation and distribution of eBooks
- Guide de conception et d’utilisation du manuel numérique universitaire (PDF) (by Université du Québec)
- 25 Main Benefits of the eBook (PDF) (by Thierry Karsenti)
Free and Open Source Software
Other links mentioned during the workshop
- The Open Anthology of Earlier American Literature (on PressBooks.com)
- Apple supports EPUB 3 via Latest Version of iBooks Author (on EPUBZone.org)
- College Students Still Prefer Print Textbooks (on PublishersWeekly.com)
- Article from the VTE (Vitrine technologie-éducation) : Adobe Creative Cloud pour le personnel des établissements de l’enseignement supérieur
- Scrivener software
This article was initially published on the IT REP’s website. Its content has been partially adapted by the Profweb editorial team to facilitate access to the resources for the English readership.